Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Dandelion Spelling


While looking for pretty paper printouts for the girls to use for letter writing, I found some dandelion stationery that was too perfect to pass up as inspiration for a family spelling challenge.

First of all, I printed a few full sheets of the stationery (at least I guess it's stationery, I found the image - here).


I saved the image to my computer as well, and cropped it, so I could print out an individual flower (I found wallet size worked best) to spell out the word "dandelion", with one letter per flower.

I "laminated" the flowers with contact paper, so they'd hold up...


...and then called each child to the table, one at a time, and gave them a sheet of the stationary to list out all the words they could spell from the letters of "dandelion".  The Man of the House even gave it a try.  After we had eliminated all the duplicate words, Boggle-style, the one with the most, correctly spelled, words remaining was the winner.


It's an old game...


...but the dandelions added a fun "almost summer" twist.


It's great to be a homeschooler.

7 comments:

Mhairi said...

Have you seen this site - it is great for checking up on the words in words.
http://www.wordles.com/getWordsInWords.aspx
There are about 160 words in dandelion.
Thanks for a great idea.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Mhairi - I haven't, but I'll check it out - thanks! And I thought we were doing good with 45 :)

Phyllis said...

The dandelions are quite pretty! I bet it did make spelling more fun!

Deborah@Teach Preschool said...

Pretty, fun and practical! You'e awesome Mom!

Kendra said...

With all your dandelion fun, have you seen this?

Ticia said...

Hmmm....... Those games always drove me crazy because I'm horrid at finding words.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Kendra - Yes! That was a bonus download when we purchased Wildcraft! the board game from Learning Herbs.